We all have things in our past, when there recent or distant, that always try and come back to cause us to live with regret. When this happens we live with guilt – feeling bad about what we did and shame – feeling bad about ourselves. God calls us to live free from these and makes every provision for that. Here is proof of that backed with Scripture:
- God has already dealt with the punishment of sin by sending Jesus to die on the cross
Col 1:22 – But now he has reconciled you by Christ’s physical body through death to present you holy in his sight, without blemish and free from accusation
- God does not condemn us but declares us not guilty.
Rom 8:1 – Therefore, there is now no condemnation for those who are in Christ Jesus
- God chooses to not remember our sins anymore, so why should we hold on to them?
Heb 10:17-18 – 17 Then he adds: ‘Their sins and lawless acts I will remember no more.’ 18 And where these have been forgiven, sacrifice for sin is no longer necessary.
- Accusation comes from Satan who only means ill for us, but freedom and fullness of life come from Jesus who is greater and stronger!!!
John 10:10 – The thief comes only to steal and kill and destroy; I have come that they may have life, and have it to the full.
- Jesus doesn’t take care of some sins only but forgives them all and sets us free completely
John 8:36 – So if the Son sets you free, you will be free indeed.
- Jesus took our sin and gave us his righteousness instead; this is the Great Exchange
2 Cor 5:21 – God made him who had no sin to be sin for us, so that in him we might become the righteousness of God.
- God’s promise to us is forgiveness every single time and for help in cleansing us to be able to deal with similar situations in the future
1 John 1:9 – If we confess our sins, he is faithful and just and will forgive us our sins and purify us from all unrighteousness.
- There is nothing that we could ever do to cause him to stop loving us
Rom 8:38-39 – 38 For I am convinced that neither death nor life, neither angels nor demons, neither the present nor the future, nor any powers, 39 neither height nor depth, nor anything else in all creation, will be able to separate us from the love of God that is in Christ Jesus our Lord.
So enough is enough! No more carrying regret, guilt and shame. It’s time to have faith and to believe what God has said in His Word. Pray and thank him for what he has done. Thank him for freedom in Jesus. As you walk through your day, hold on to these Scriptures. Perhaps memorise the one that has really spoken to you and recite it through the day. God is with you.